Employment opportunities at Birmingham Children’s Theatre are available to all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, veteran's status, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. In addition, we will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the positions listed below:
There are no current Administrative opportunities.
Stitchers (Part Time/Over Hire)
- Flexible hours when needed.
- Must be able to use industrial sewing machines.
- Must have previous costume construction experience.
- Position(s) report to Costume Technician.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter stating experience and availability to Jen Lane via email. Over Hire positions will only be filled on an as-needed basis. Resumes will be reviewed and interviews will be set up for selected individuals. No phone calls.
Scenic Carpenters, Scenic Artists, Shop Associates (Part Time/Over Hire)
- Flexible hours when needed.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must have previous scene shop experience.
- Position(s) report to Technical Director.
To Apply: Jack Lemmon via email. Over Hire positions will only be filled on an as-needed basis. Resumes will be reviewed and interviews will be set up for selected individuals. No phone calls.Please send resume and cover letter stating experience and availability to
Birmingham Children's Theatre offers full- or part-time internships to qualified high school, college undergraduate or graduate students of the performing arts, arts education or arts administration. Areas for internship may include Production, Administration or Education.
First preference will be given to college students who have already acquired some basic training and experience in theatre and are ready for the next step toward a career in this field. Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested should apply. Applicants should:
- Have a passion for working with young people
- Have a strong respect for the collaborative nature of theatre
- Be willing to engage in the creative process
- Have an excellent sense of humor
- Be reliable
- Know how to be part of a team, but also how and when to take initiative and get things done.
BCT will help any student needing to fulfill specific credit requirements by working with faculty advisors from participating schools. All arrangements for credit must be made by intern. Please provide any paperwork with application.
Each intern will participate in a variety of evaluative measures with department managers throughout the duration of the internship. Interns will be required to complete self-evaluation forms. There will also be periodic, face to face evaluations to discuss progress, plan for future goals and assess program expectations. Final evaluation will be sent to faculty advisor.
Payment and Housing
We are currently offering unpaid internships. At this time BCT does not offer housing.
How to Apply
Please click here to fill out an application. Mail completed application along with:
- 3 References
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- A brief personal statement of what you hope to gain from this internship (no more than 500 words)
- Any paperwork for earning educational credit
TO: Birmingham Children's Theatre, P.O. 1362, Birmingham, AL 35201